The Challenges of Biblical Exposition:
Contextualization, Exegesis, Theological Reflection, Application
What is it going to take to accomplish Biblical Preaching?
– Biblical Exposition: When the shape and emphasis of the sermon is joyfully restrained by the shape and emphasis of the text fulfilled in the Gospel.
– When the content and intent of the sermon are the content and intent of the text.
– Contextualization: is taking the text and explaining it in the context of today’s culture.
– We forget that God’s Word can exegete our culture better than we can.
– We forget that we are already in our culture.
1 Samuel 2:12-21
– About the Holiness of God and Transition to King.
– Not tips for parenting
– Jesus is the replacement of the priesthood and is the true king.
– impressionistic preaching is improb preaching.
– impressionistic preaching is like a drunk leaning on a street light, he uses it for support rather than for illumination.
– Example of how Jesus loved them to the end.
– Displaying his sacrifice.
– What is the Road to Christ?
– Christ both enemy and deliverer, ironic us of passage.
– You can kill Christianity through Christ-centered preaching when it is done impressionisticly.
-Applications are already embedded in the text.
– Teaching us to stand against the enemy
– What is the best application, priority?
– Look for the aim or intent
– Is it primary or just a possible application?
– Does it undermine the text?
– Does it conflict with other Scripture?